The family and I rolled back into town yesterday, a little road weary and a lot more tan. Here are some highlights, without getting too personal:
- Wherever there is saltwater, there are sharks. No, I did not go shark fishing, but we had a 12 foot White scaring people off the beach a little late in the trip. If he would’ve arrived earlier, we would’ve had the place to ourselves!
- The Zac Brown Band concert was outstanding! We saw them two years ago as well, and both concerts were among my all-time favorites. Not only did they play their stuff, the covered Metallica, Bob Marley, Van Morrison, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd. I did not take the video above, but it will give you an idea of what it was like from up-close;
- Celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary with the family. I am blessed and truly amazed at how good God has been to me;
- Kept the cell phone completely turned-off for 8 days. No email, no texts, no phone messages, it was great! Now, the wife had hers in case of emergency and to check on the dog, and we used the iPad once or twice for reference, but otherwise, all was quiet;
- Spent time stargazing with the family. Possibly my favorite part of the trip;
- Dominated all-challengers in bocce on the beach;
- Tried reserving a fire-ring on the beach by simply placing five, shrink-wrapped logs in the ring and propping two seat cushions that we found washed-up on shore against the ring. The result: we returned ten hours later to a campsite full of rednecks with enough firewood and alcohol to last ‘til kingdom come. Decided not to press the issue due to the fact that my wife and kids lacked experience rumbling on the beach, so we roasted marshmallows over the BBQ on our deck;
- Speaking of the BBQ, the place had a decent gas grill and I cooked burgers on it one night. In my opinion, gas is fine for burgers and occasionally chicken, but I’m still partial to my Weber.
And so we return, with football season looming out on the horizon less than a month away. I’m not ready to give-in and call it a summer just yet, so we’ll find some more adventures in the days and weeks to come. I’d still like to get that bonfire in…